Sleep apnea is a potentially serious disorder in which an individual's breathing starts and stops during sleep.
There are two main types of sleep apnea:
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Occurs when the muscles in the throat relax
Central Sleep Apnea: Occurs when your brain doesn't send the proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing.
There is a third type called complex sleep apnea, which is a combination of both
If you think you might have sleep apnea, have had trouble sleeping, snore loudly, or feel tired after a full night's sleep, please speak with your doctor about treatment options and available resources.
Please use this Sleep Apnea question checklist to get a dialogue going with your doctor.
- Do you have excessive daytime sleepiness (aka: hypersomnia)?
- Do you snore loudly during sleep?
- Have you had episodes of breathing cessation during your time asleep?
- Do you wake up abruptly with shortness of breath?
- Do you have a dry mouth or a sore throat when you wake up?
- Do you have headaches in the morning?
- Do you have insomnia?
Remember to speak with your doctor about sleep apnea and what options are available. Medical West offers a full line of sleep apnea products and the resources of Certified Respiratory Therapists.
We will work with you and your doctor to ensure you receive the right products, resources, and attention you deserve.
If you are in the greater St. Louis feel free to call us at 877.993.8100.
If you are in the greater Kansas City area please call 877.218.0727.